Okay, so you understand that you must welcome each of your new customers into your email programme, but how do you make sure that you are making the most of this opportunity?
Here are some pointers, each of which takes advantage of the increased engagement rates of welcome emails to increase your future inbox placement rates.
Always send the Welcome Email in real time.
Speak to your Email Service Provider about their API suite, or use forms to trigger automated emails. And remember, it’s all about brand awareness. Don’t send plain text auto-responders, instead bring the Welcome Email into the brand family. Exploit this first point of contact for future brand recognition.
- Thank them for signing up for your newsletters and remind them why they received this message.
- Show them how to add you to their safe list.
- Make it easy for them to manage their subscriptions with a preference centre.
- Showcase what your email programme has in store for them – use real examples of earlier newsletters. They’ll recognise the next one when it lands, boosting your chances of engaging them.
- Give them the opportunity to share your email with friends/colleagues via your social bar, include a recommend a friend option too
- Do you have a soft sell you can include in your welcome email? A first order discount or free shipping will go along way to building the relationship.
And finally, keep it short. You need to strike the balance between smoothing the path for the future and overwhelming your new members.
Well, leave them alone for bit, let the wonders of the new world sink in. But not too long, the new customers should now be at stage one of your welcome series.
A week after they’ve signed up, stage two will be triggered. Their interaction with this message will determine the next phase.
Once they have journeyed through the welcome series they will be pumped and primed, ready for the full offering.
That’s where the real fun starts…